Become a Class Leader
Start leading PTC classes in your community. PTC is a train-the-trainer model program with a detailed, scripted curriculum. Our goal is to build capacity to replicate the evidence-based program through affordable Class Leader and Master Trainer trainings. Increasing the number of classes available makes it possible for more caregivers to benefit from the proven outcomes of the PTC program.
If you would like to offer the 6-week class for caregivers in your community, you must become a trained PTC Class Leader. Class Leaders will be fully prepared to team-teach Powerful Tools for Caregivers to groups of 8 – 15 family caregivers. The PTC class curriculum is currently available in English, French, Korean, and Spanish. The class is delivered either in-person or online.
“It never ceases to amaze me how transforming this course is – the dramatic change in the demeanor of the participants from the first to the sixth class.”
-PTC Class Leader from CA
What is required to become a Powerful Tools For Caregivers Class Leader?
- A co-leader with whom to teach the 6-week caregiver class
- Group facilitation skills
- A sponsoring organization
- Experience working with family caregivers
- Agree to the terms outlined in the Class Leader Certification Agreement form. Download form here.
What is the time commitment for Powerful Tools For Caregivers Class Leaders?
- The in-person Class Leader training is two full days plus travel time. Or the online Class Leader training is five, 3-hour, morning or afternoon sessions.
- PTC Class Leaders will teach at least two caregiver class series within the first year.
What are some ways organizations can support a PTC Class Leader?
- Sponsor staff time and travel expenses to attend the PTC Class Leader training (two day in-person training or 5 mornings online).
- Provide staff time to co-lead the caregiver classes. Provide administrative support such as marketing of the classes, class registration, and purchasing copies of The Caregiver Helpbook.
- Provide space for the classes.
What does the training program include?
- Scripted Curriculum
- Video and audio resources,
- The Caregiver Helpbook, companion book to the class
- Leader certification fee
- Networking connections with other trained Class Leaders
- Intensive and interactive training provided by a team of certified Master Trainers.
What does the training cost?
The cost of a leader training varies depending on the level of support from a local sponsor location and their actual costs. Organizations may only charge trainees for cost recovery. Email or call the registration contact on the training schedule.
“I am a retired Geriatric Nurse Practitioner with 50 years in health care and I have learned that the training and resultant change which caregivers experience through Powerful Tools far exceeds any caregiver training which I have participated in over the years.”
-PTC Class Leader from PA