Become a Class Leader
Start leading PTC classes in your community. PTC is a train-the-facilitator program with a detailed, scripted curriculum that builds on The Caregiver Helpbook. If you would like to offer the 6-week class for caregivers in your community, you must become a licensed PTC Class Leader.
Licensed Class Leaders are fully prepared to team-teach Powerful Tools for Caregivers to groups of 8 – 15 family caregivers. The PTC class curriculum is currently available in English, French, Korean, and Spanish. The class is delivered either in-person or virtually.
“It never ceases to amaze me how transforming this course is – the dramatic change in the demeanor of the participants from the first to the sixth class.”
-PTC Class Leader from CA
What is needed to become a Powerful Tools For Caregivers Class Leader?
- Group facilitation skills
- A sponsoring organization
- Experience working with family caregivers
- A co-leader with whom to teach the 6-week caregiver class. Don’t have someone to teach with? We can help you find someone.
- Agree to the terms outlined in the Class Leader Certification Agreement form. Class Leader Agreement policies here.
What is the time commitment for Powerful Tools For Caregivers Class Leader Training?
- The in-person Class Leader training is two full days plus travel time.
- The virtual Class Leader training is five days with 3-hour sessions.
- Within a year after training completion, PTC Class Leaders must teach two caregiver class series.
What are some ways sponsoring organizations can support a PTC Class Leader?
- Sponsor staff time and travel expenses to attend the PTC Class Leader training.
- Provide staff time to co-lead the PTC caregiver classes. Provide administrative support such as marketing of the classes, class registration, and purchasing copies of The Caregiver Helpbook.
- Provide space or virtual platform for the classes.
What does the training program include?
- Scripted curriculum
- Video and audio resources,
- The Caregiver Helpbook, companion book to the class
- Fee: $200
- Networking connections with other licensed Class Leaders
- Intensive and interactive training provided by a team of certified Master Trainers.
What does the training cost?
The cost of a leader training varies depending on the level of support from a local sponsor location and their actual costs. Organizations may only charge trainees for cost recovery. Email or call the registration contact on the training schedule.
Current Class Leaders
Once you’ve scheduled your PTC class series (or managing stress workshop), please inform PTC headquarters through the “add an upcoming class series” form (LINK). This must be done for each class series, so PTC headquarters can understand the reach of PTC and the efforts of individual class leaders around the world.
Please note that this form allows you to opt out of sharing your event on our website.
Please see the PTC Class Leader How-to Guide for instructions on:
- Creating an account at the Iowa State University Extension Store (LINK)
- Ordering The Caregiver Helpbook
- Accessing PTC files for Class Leaders on the ISU Extension Store
- Adding an Upcoming Class (LINK)
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].
Thank you for all you do for caregivers!
“I am a retired Geriatric Nurse Practitioner with 50 years in health care and I have learned that the training and resultant change which caregivers experience through Powerful Tools far exceeds any caregiver training which I have participated in over the years.”
-PTC Class Leader from PA